Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Snow Is Gone

This week definitely falls into the category of "Best Week Ever" -- and it's only Wednesday! Here's why:
  1. The incredible Rangers game Liz and I attended last night, where the Boys in Blue served up a ferocious second period to beat the Canadiens and hold on to the last playoff spot. And we spent the third period sitting in the most incredible seats (two rows behind the glass, near-center ice).

  2. My first shift volunteering at Animal Haven, a no-kill shelter on Centre Street downtown. It's a great institution, with lots of room for the dogs and cats to play, and they train, vaccinate and spay/neuter all the animals that come through. I really lucked out--I got to walk the unbelievably (almost painfully) adorable puppies. I took them each out for a good long romp around the neighborhood--which was great excercise for both of us, but also excellent advertising for the shelter. Each dog wears an "adopt me" vest when they go out, so all the passers-by know they are available to take home. I know that I wanted to take all of them home with me. How could you not? This is Molly, an 8-month chihuahua mix:

  3. Sunday night's Josh Ritter Concert at the Tarrytown Music Hall. Certainly the best concert EVER, by far (and I've been to some pretty damn good shows). My sister and I took Metro North up to Tarrytown (where Washington Irving wrote The Legend of Sleepy Hollow) and grabbed a fantastic Italian dinner and homemade ice cream before heading to the Hall. I've been wanting a Josh Ritter T-shirt for quite some time and was hoping to find one with the current tour's name or maybe this one that I've had my eye on for a while. Sadly, there were only two shirts on display; I immediately took a liking to one (the image from which is at left, it looks far better on the shirt) -- I'm always a fan of maritime art, and the Josh Ritter poster I currently have framed in my room is from the European tour and prominently boasts a similar ship, so I thought it would be nice to have a shirt with the same theme. I dished out the $25, proudly donned the shirt (easier than carrying it around the rest of the night) and excitedly awaited the start of the show. It wasn't until two hours later that I realized the shirt was from the opening act band, The Low Anthem. And before you say, well, duh, the band's name is right on the shirt, I purchased it before I even knew there was an opening act, much less the name of it. In all my excitement, I guess my mind just glossed over the fact that I didn't recognize the words "the low anthem" in connection with Josh Ritter. Oh, well.

    The upside is that it's very cool looking, very comfortable, and I really liked the band. The lead singer, Ben Knox Miller, has an incredibly wide vocal range, on full display in the first four tracks (the link to listen is on the right) of their most recent album, Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (which is quite possibly one of the best album titles I've heard).

    But while that was a funny moment that ended up being kinda cool, once Josh Ritter took the stage, this week's status as BWE was solidified. Josh skipped out and didn't stop smiling the whole way through. Every song was perfect, and sounded just as amazing live as on the albums. The audience was widely varied, but everyone, and I mean everyone, knew and loved the music, singing along and spontaneously jumping up to dance. I can't stop thinking about the energy and intense appreciation for such a musical genius that was strumming through the Music Hall. I think everyone there transcended as I did to a different plane, that place to which only the best music can transport you. I'm still riding high, and frantically checking for updates on his promised appearance at Summerstage in June. Everyone go listen to Josh Ritter. There are no words to fully capture his ability and talent, though many have tried.

No comments: