Thursday, July 20, 2006

You'll Never Walk Alone

Bill Simmons is still my New Best Friend and has solidified his position there with his most recent column chronicling his search for an English Premeir League (soccer/football) team to support. Aside from being fantastically written and accessible to sports fans with varying degrees of soccer-knowledge, it's absolutely inspiring. Throughout reading the article (which can be found on ESPN.com Page 2) I kept wondering why on earth I don't watch more soccer. The biggest reason is that we simply don't get a channel that airs soccer, so my watching would be damned near impossible. But I'm definitely thinking that more trips to Mr. Dennehy's are in order--I'm assuming that as an authentic Irish pub, they show games.

Reading Simmons' fantastic breakdown of the British teams, I have to say that I absolutely agree with him that English football has something that American sports are severely lacking for the most part: spirit. And not just "my team is awesome" assertions in everyday conversation, but real face-paint wearing, top-of-your-lungs screaming, team-song singing, bust-a-vein fan revelry. Case in point: Liverpool. I've heard before how fantastically committed and downright crazy those fans are, but watching YouTube clips of a sea of red-clad fans belting out You'll Never Walk Alone gives new appreciation to the kind of energy fans can supply. And that's just during regular season games-- the enthusiam increases many-fold when playoffs are in full swing.

While Yankee fans are certainly better than most in American sports, even we have much to learn from our British counterparts. The bleacher-creatures do an admirable job with their team salutes at the beginning of every game, and when there's 2 outs in the 9th and were just one strike away from winning the game, there is certainly an acceptable amount of noise--helped along by "Freddie Sez" Shulman and his clanging pot. However I say more energy! Next time I go to a game, I'm busting out the face paint. Obviously something to be introduced to the Stadium slowly so that it catches on like a good idea and I'm not seen as that weirdo girl with the crayon on her face. However, when at the Giants game oh-so-many years ago, painting a huge "G" on my cheek earned me a couple seconds of air-time on the Jumbo-tron and, apparantly, national television, so clearly someone out there thinks it's a good idea. Watch out, Dave Seid, I may be painting your face as well.

In other news, I'm seeing Lady In The Water tonight. The ads for it always throw me because the face in the center (the blue-tinted androgynous one) which actually belongs to Bryce Dallas Howard looks exactly like Elijah Wood. So bizzare. I read an article which, along with zinging M. Night Shyamalan (or however you spell his name) for his king-size ego, suggests that this film may be far different from his past cinematic ventures. Also notable is that he split with Disney because he was insistent on casting himself as an author who's story ends up changing the world. Hmmm, maybe there IS something to this super-inflated ego rumor.

Anyway, I really have liked his past movies (though didn't see the Village, which was widely panned) so even though I'm somewhat apprehensive about this one, it's absolutely worth seeing based on previous experience. Plus, I'm meeting my mom for dinner beforehand which means I don't have to buy my own. Always a plus, particularly on my budget.

Have "Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day stuck in my head. Not a bad song to have revolving around. And, as always, Suite: Judy Blue Eyes.

1 comment:

Mara said...

Please tell me how Lady in the Water is. They are marketing it soooo weird. Is it a thriller? Is it scary? Is it fantasy? Is it a fairy tale? I can't decide.