Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The most depressing part about having nothing to do at work is that, when there actually is something to do, it's really very fascinating. Though by virtue of a confidentiality agreement I can't actually openly discuss the work, I can say that it's all about word usage and public perspectives and "getting the proper message out" -- all things that I've always found interesting. More work! I demand more!!

Today's Times has an amusing and interesting Op-Ed about major league baseball hoisery and its importance to the history of America's past-time. Very well written by Paul Lucas, an ESPN columnist, "Field of Slobs" can be found here http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/11/opinion/11lukas.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin or by going to the nytimes.com opinion page. Definintely worth a read.

As I mentioned yesterday, last night I went to see the new Pirates of the Carribean and I must say I was somewhat disappointed. Very little of the original's ingenuity and cleverness was evident in this one, and the film seemed to be a showcase for the special effects people even more than it was a Johnny Depp vehicle. That being said, I laughed heartily in all the appropriate places and was quite appreciative of the superb supporting cast (Stellan Skarsgaard!) and of the fact that I recognized all of them when no one else did--an esteemable trait of mine.

More importantly, it seems that our government has finally decided to meet the minnimum standards set by the Geneva Convention regarding treatment of prisoners of war. Putting aside the obvious--it behooves the U.S. to follow these standards as it safeguards our own soldiers, and that no civilized nation should employ such barbaric tactics, we're better than that-- my question is: who are these people who are capable of doing the torturing? I just simply cannot understand why torture exists in the first place because I cannot image anyone having the stomach for it. And yet some people do. Baffling.

Am currently riding the downward wave of a caffene buzz. Crested about a half-hour ago, and am now wearily tired and unable to focus. I think today calls for an early lunch. But what to eat? Hmmm. Dilemma.

I am sincerely hoping for nice, sunny weather this weekend as I fully intend to spend at least a few hours lying out in the grass. Not being a camp counselor this summer has deprived me of my necessary dose of "outdoors time." I desperately miss swimming every day, lots of sunshine, and playing softball with my campers (always nice to play with people of your own skill level). I can feel my Vitamin D deficiency and look with horror at my still-transparent skin. Might as well have been living in an igloo for all the real summer I've experienced so far. Clearly visits to the family on long island are in order, but for this weekend Central Park will have to do. Anyone looking at a free weekend, please contact me and we can put together a picnic of some sort. I am determined to feel like it's summer at last!

There are 42 sprinklers in the office's ceiling and 15 broken light bulbs and one very ugly shade of carpet.

Kleenex makes a very good hat.

No comments: