Monday, July 10, 2006

In a desperate attempt to stave off boredom here at the office I have decided to actually post on the blog account I created in order to comment on my friend Mara's blog while she is studying in Israel this year.

Sadly, the lack of interesting things to do at the office translates into a lack of interesting things about which to comment on a blog. Hmm, seems this web journal thing may be dead on arrival. However, it is relieving to note that I am hardly the only one without a thing to do at the office. Actually, I should ammend that. I do have something to do, but I really, REALLY, don't feel like doing it right now. And so I am not.

Weirdly, when I have absolutely nothing to occupy myself with, random words and phrases from books and movies get stuck in my head and float around constantly repeating themselves in my brain. Right now "Jean-Luc Gespa," a name said by Anjelina Jolie in Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and "rashers of bacon" which was in a book I recently read, are alternating in my head. I will surely go crazy if it doesn't stop.

Have played eight thousands games of solitaire, and that's just today. I can feel my eyes straining from all this staring at the computer screen, which hardly seems worth it as my solitaire skills have yet to improve. Have also read the New York Times from virtual cover to virtual cover, including the obituary of an old friend of my dad's who died last week. Paul Nelson, the recently deceased, was actually an incredibly interesting man who introduced Bob Dylan to Woody Guthrie, thus creating the famous Dylan sound and rock music history with a single vinyl record. Paul also reviewed music for several publications including Rolling Stone, and rather famously nourished himself solely with Coca Cola, peanut butter candies and cigarettes. There is hardly a person I can think that would have made a more fascinating anthropological subject.

I am still fighting off the last vestiges of a stubborn cold and have taken to deep-throated sneezing which creates this awful noise which almost sounds like an elephant trumpeting. It's really quite embarassing in such a small and quiet office. It also hurts.

The saving grace of the insane boredom and emptiness of the office is that I have plenty of interesting things to do after work this week. Tonight I have a ticket to a screening of the new Pirates of the Carribean movie, courtesy of the lovely Susan Wagner. I am terribly excited and especially love seeing movies with Susan and Liz because they clearly love films as much as I do, which makes discussing and analyzing the movies we see all the more fun. Tomorrow is equally exciting as recently-returned Annie is joining me for sushi and baseball (two of my absolute favorite things).

Oh! After being thoroughly soaked a week ago while on my way to work (and having to strip off my sodden shoes and jeans and wear a sweatshirt as if they were pants--thus creating an MC Hammer-like look) I am on the hunt for a pair of Wellington boots. However, being the picky fashion traditionalist that I am, I am being very particular in the style of boot. If anyone sees hunter green Wellies, preferably with an adjustible strap at the top, selling for less than a fortune, please let me know! So far, have found a nearly perfect pair on the LL Bean website, but they're out of stock until August.

La! But I am still so bored. I think I'll pour a pitcher of water down the mail chute.

1 comment:

Mara said...

Bec, what you make this job sound like is pure hell. I hope you come out of it alive.

Here's a deal: you stay alive long enough to get to Israel and I'll show you a time here you'll never forget.

did that sound dirty? that wasn't my intention....or maybe it was....