Saturday, October 18, 2008

Smart Girls Have More Fun

I think this is probably true because smart people can appreciate humor on multiple levels. (Spoken like a true smart person, if I do say so...) Amy Poehler has a new web-based show, Smart Girls at the Party, that celebrates girls being intelligent, constructive and confident. Scarily, this is probably one of the few reality-based shows that depicts girls as both having working brains AND being awesome people you want to hang out with. Is it too much to ask that this start a new trend? Since when is intelligent boring? Why is stupid, drunk and blindly promiscuous ratings-grabbing? I surely don't know. 

So today I officially scheduled myself to sleep in and recharge. I haven't done so in ages, and seriously needed the rest. Of course, that meant that one of the four construction projects within a 1-block radius of my house decided that jackhammering at 7am this morning was a must. I was dumbfounded. Rudely awakened by mind-splitting noise at the crack of dawn on a Saturday is perhaps the most brutal thing to experience (in a non-combat sense). I was barely coherent, not at all awake, and yet incredulous. I hauled out of bed, with a fire in my eyes that could kill and stomped to the other bedroom on the other side of the apartment, whose window thankfully looks out away from the construction, thus dulling the noise. I managed to get in another couple hours of sleep but I had to have still been hearing the jackhammering because I woke up with a migraine. Not at all what I had been planning for this day of recuperation. I'm still in a residually foul mood, but it's been helped enormously by catching an airing of Bill Cosby's fantastic stand-up show in Canada circa 1981. The whole thing is sidesplitting, but his bit on the dentist is particularly irreverent:



My big plan for the rest of the day: Grocery Shopping. I have a recipe for chicken salad that I'm itching to try out. I seriously miss the culinary genius of Open City's chicken salad sandwich. Now I just have to get dressed. Groan.

1 comment:

Suburban Sweetheart said...

I'd like to point out that I am intelligent along with occasionally being stupid, drunk and blindly promiscuous. ;)